wersja polska  
Mediton - Publishing House
Start page  Journals  Books  Conferences  News  Mediton  Contact   
   Journals
print this
   Allergy Asthma Immunology - archive  

Allergy Asthma Immunology
     Archive
     Editorial staff
     Editorial board
     For authors
     Subscription
Otorhinolaryngology
Allergology Review



 Search in articles:
  Authority of Polish Society of Allergology




vol 7. no 1. March 2002  
 TABLE OF CONTENT

 Original articles
Effects of combined therapy with oral antihistamines and topical corticosteroids on Staphylococcus aureus colonization in atopic dermatitis
Teresa Adamek-Guzik 1/, Tomasz J. Guzik 2/, Grażyna Czerniawska-Mysik 2/,

Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a complex inflammatory skin disorder of unclear pathogenesis. Skin colonization with Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) may play an important role in the pathogenesis of AD due to its allergenic, as well as superantigenic properties. The aim of the present study was to analyze the effects of oral antihistamine and topical corticosteroids treatment on the presence and intensity of skin colonization with S. aureus in relation to the skin lesion intensity in AD.
The study included 34 patients with long-duration atopic dermatitis during exacerbation of the disease and after 4 and 12 weeks of the treatment. At these timepoints bacteriological and clinical studies were conducted and total serum IgE levels were measured.
S. aureus skin colonization was found in all (100%) subjects during exacerbation of the disease, and its intensity was significantly correlated with the clinical severity of skin lesions and with IgE levels. In 70% of patients the treatment caused elimination of S. aureus from the skin of patients. In the remaining group (30%) the S. aureus colonization persisted during the treatment. This group was characterized by incomplete remission and significantly higher IgE levels than the remaining subjects eliminated S. aureus colonization. Additionally, the persistence of S. aureus colonization was associated with co-existence of inhalant allergen hypersensitivity.
In conclusion, skin colonization with S. aureus plays important role in the development and persistence of skin lesions in AD patients. Patients who do not eliminate S. aureus during classical treatment with antihistamines and topical steroids may require additional antibiotic treatment.
Alergia Astma Immunologia, 2002, 7(1), 33-43


keywords: atopowe zapalenie skóry, S. aureus, IgE, antyhistaminik, steroid, atopic dermatitis, S. aureus, IgE, antyhistaminics, corticosteroids

pages: from 33 to 43



estimated time of download (158 kB)
broadband speed:561282565121024[kbps]
time:3311632[sec]


You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF file. It's free. If you don't have the Adobe Acrobat Reader plugin yet, you can get it HERE.


Start page | Journals | Books | Conferences | News | Mediton | Contact

Copyright © 1996-2020 Mediton Publishing House | All rights reserved.